Would you work 19 months just to take home the same pay your colleague did in 12 months? Absolutely not. Yet this is the scenario faced much too often by black women in the United States. Tomorrow, July 31, we’ll commemorate Black Women’s Equal Pay Day — the symbolic day when black women’s average earnings finally catch up to the average wages of white men from last year. That’s seven months of extra work!
We need your help to right this wrong. Click here to tell Pennsylvania lawmakers to give us the tools to close the gender and racial pay gaps!
We can’t think of a better way to “celebrate” Black Women’s Equal Pay Day than by securing the tools to help close the pay gap once and for all. Urge your representative to ensure women are paid what they are worth by supporting HB1243, a comprehensive Equal Pay bill sponsored by Representatives Brian Sims and Tina Davis with 25 additional co-sponsors.
Women can’t wait for equal pay—contact your representative today to urge them to support HB 1243!
Be sure to visit the Colleges/Universities page for important information.
To publish a post on the blog:
- You must first request a username and password. Click this link to create your account.
- We will send your login information via email as soon as possible.
- After you receive this information, scroll to the bottom of AAUW Pennsylvania’s website and click the teal text that says Log In.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click the Posts tab on the left side of your screen.
- Click the Add New button.
- Fill in the blanks for your post’s title and content.
- Select the “Pennsylvania Students” Category on the right side of your screen.
- When you are ready, click the blue Publish button on the right side of your screen.
To leave a comment:
- Click “comments” at the end of any post.
- A new page opens.
- Enter your name or a nickname. Please leave the email address field blank to keep our system from holding your comment for moderation.
- Type your comment in the designated box.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate images to complete our anti-spam challenge. You’ll do this by hovering over an image and clicking on it if the photo shows a cat. This prevents our blog from receiving automated spam comments.
- When you are satisfied, click “Post Comment.”