NCCWSL: NATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR COLLEGE WOMEN STUDENT LEADERS
Each year AAUW-PA offers grants to attend NCCWSL.
We are pleased to announce the winners of the 2017 grants.
- Rachel Foor, an undergraduate studying Journalism at Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Shaina Hilsey, an undergraduate studying Sports Management at California University of Pennsylvania
- Olivia Kelly, an undergraduate studying Sociology and Urban Studies at the University of Pittsburgh
- Jillian Murphy, an undergraduate studying International Studies at Juniata College
- Hediya Ozkan, a graduate student studying Literature at Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Rina Patel, an undergraduate studying Growth and Structure of Cities at Bryn Mawr College
- Alison Simmons, a graduate student studying Epidemiology at Brown University
The exciting National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL), held at the University of Maryland at the end of May or beginning of June each year, brings together college women from all over the US to learn about leadership.
Wondering whether you should go? Watch this testimonial from Kate Cohen, a Moravian College student who attended NCCWSL in 2012.
Whet your appetite now by reading personal highlights from our 2017 AAUW-PA NCCWSL Grant winners:
“The major highlights for me were the following: 1. Touring the United States Capitol and meeting with women in conference rooms in the capitol where they described how their education and work experiences led to leadership positions on Capitol Hill and their roles in the development of federal budgets and legislation.; 2. Attending the presentations given by the “2017 AAUW Women of Distinction” awardees where they shared personal, passionate stories about overcoming adversity and improving the lives of women as well as encouraged us to advocate for ourselves and others.; and 3. Building a network of mentors and peers who shared my interests in health equity and issues and policies affecting women. I enjoyed my conversations with the conference leaders and the conference attendees!” —Alison E. Simmons, Brown University
“It was a great experience to attend the conference! I enjoyed all of the workshops, presentations, lectures and activities which made me aware of my capability as a women and leader. Thank you very much for making such an amazing experience possible for me!” —Hediya Ozkan, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
“NCCWSL is all about empowering future women leaders. Yet, what I quickly discovered was that the events, workshops, and lectures could not measure up to the sheer power of being around a large group of strong, intelligent women had. Being in the presence of these women not only gave me comfort and security, but it made me even more confident that the future is female. I loved hearing about how different AAUW groups on campuses throughout the world have found success, and I plan on taking their success stories and using them to gain success in my AAUW Pitt chapter.” —Olivia Kelley, University of Pittsburgh
STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
From October through May, the members of the AAUW-PA Student Advisory Council (SAC) serve as AAUW ambassadors, advise the AAUW-PA board on the needs of college students, and lead gender equality projects on their campuses.
SAC members also plan and deliver appropriate sections of AAUW-PA’s Annual State Meeting in April; SAC members attend as guests of the state. At the end of the term, SAC members provide a short narrative report on the successes and challenges of their SAC experiences.
Membership and Term of Office
At least one member from each of the three state districts (East, West, Central), plus up to two more, for a maximum of five. Members will serve for one academic year, approximately October through May.
- Students must be undergraduates in any year (first-year through senior) enrolled full-time in either a two- or four-year accredited College/University (C/U) AAUW Partner member school in Pennsylvania (check whether your school is a partner).
- Members of AAUW Student Organizations will be given preference, but any undergraduate student at a C/U partner is welcome to apply.
- Personal affiliation with AAUW is required on appointment.
Applications for the 2017-18 Student Advisory Council are now open. The application deadline is October 4, 2017 at 5 p.m.Apply Now!
THANK YOU to the 2016-17 Student Advisory Council members: Suzanna Carnevali-Doan from the University of Pittsburgh, Allison Dushack from Robert Morris University, Virginia Njenga from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and Danita Scott from the University of Pittsburgh.
CONGRATULATIONS to Sarah Best, a senior at the University of Pittsburgh, for serving as a member of the 2016-17 Student Advisory Council. Learn more about her.