Working with College/University (C/U) Partners
and Students or Student Organizations
ON THIS PAGE:
- GETTING STARTED
- IDEAS FOR JOINT BRANCH-C/U PROGRAMMING
- NCCWSL/NATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR COLLEGE WOMEN STUDENT LEADERS: HELP STUDENTS ATTEND
- WORK WITH NCCWSL ATTENDEES
- Contact the C/U representative at the C/U partner near you. Don’t know who that is? Contact the AAUW-PA C/U liaison, who can tell you.
- Have an institution that is not yet a C/U partner? Contact the Provost, Academic Dean, chair of Women’s Studies, or other campus contact. Share AAUW information with them: http://www.aauw.org/membership/college-university-partner/
- Offer your branch resources and investigate shared concerns and opportunities.
- Encourage students to join your branch and the state as well as affiliating with national.
There are myriad options. Think creatively and talk with the students or the C/U representatives about their concerns and interests and what is feasible on their campus.
Here are some ideas that have been successful in PA to get you started:
- Film screening and post-film discussion (Miss Representation, Iron-Jawed Angels, and The Line are all films that work). Offer free popcorn. 🙂
- Voter registration drives in fall and/or spring
- Tabling on campus in October and/or April handing out forms to request an absentee ballot from the states most represented among that campus’s student population
- Pay equity activities: host an Equal Pay Day bake sale, collect signatures to support pay-equity legislation, sponsor speakers on negotiation skills, etc.
- A casual potluck brunch or pizza party for students and branch members to talk about work-life balance
- A speaker or panel on an AAUW issue hosted by your branch.
- Student mentoring
- Shared project like Sister-to-Sister Summits or Take Back the Night
- Conversations about Gender
- Book discussions
NATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR COLLEGE WOMEN STUDENT LEADERS (NCCWSL): HELP STUDENTS ATTEND
Raise money for a grant to support students to attend NCCWSL next year:
- Make sure students at your local institutions of higher education know about NCCWSL and the grants that are available
- Cover travel costs for a national or PA grant recipient
- Provide a full or partial grant to a local student
- Donate to the national scholarships
Note: C/U partners (those colleges and universities that are members of AAUW) receive 15% off the registration fees if a group of 4 or more students register as a group. Find out whether your college or university is a member.
Individual Contributions to National Scholarships:
To support the general operating funds for the conference or make a donation to the scholarship fund, contribute online at Donate to AAUW Today.
- To make a donation to the general operating funds for the conference, select Leadership Programs Fund.
- To designate funds for the NCCWSL Scholarship Fund, next to “Other special funds and giving circles” go to the dropdown menu, called “Select a Special Fund,” and choose “NCCWSL Scholarship Support.”
Such efforts could be the start of many successful partnerships, leading perhaps to a new C/U partnership, a new Student Organization at your local C/U, or a branch Emerging Leader Intern.
Contact the AAUW-PA College/University Liaison for further information.
WORK WITH NCCWSL ATTENDEES
Each year, several students from Pennsylvania universities and colleges or residing in Pennsylvania attend NCCWSL, enjoy learning skills that will last them a lifetime, and agree to share their experiences.
Invite them to: