“Lobby Day” is Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Click here for more information.
Gettysburg Annual Meeting, April 11-13, 2014
What are 10 great reasons to go to Gettysburg in April 2014? Click here for more information.
For Human Trafficking you could say:
The current Pennsylvania law on human trafficking needs to be revised. It
lacks the clear definitions and strong penalties necessary to enable the law
enforcement community to arrest and prosecute criminals, and there is no
statute that is specifically aimed at sex trafficking. Support efforts to
improve laws in this area by signing this petition.
Human trafficking petition -
Violence Against Women you could say:
One in four women has experienced domestic violence at some point in her
lifetime. After a long and bitter struggle, Congress passed VAWA in March
2013. However, several days after passage, automatic budget, cuts set in
motion by sequestration, decreased funding for domestic violence and sexual
assault programs by $20 million. Sign this petition to show the U.S.
Congress that you care about this issue.
Violence against women petition -
2014-2016 Nominations Search
In May 2014 AAUW-PA will be electing a new President and Program VP. If interested, please download and complete the “Candidate Form for State Officer”. The deadline for submitting nominations is December 15, 2013.
Public Policy Mini Grant Recipients
Nine branches and C/U Partners will receive Public Policy Mini Grants this year. The branches are working on two issues: adequate funding for domestic violence programs and passage of effective human trafficking legislation. The following branches and C/Us received grants:
- Bethlehem (panel discussion at Northampton Community College, publicity, petitions, call-in day, tabling event, tentative clothesline project)
- Bradford-University of Pittsburgh at Bradford (Students will create and distribute a pamphlet on violence against women. Other community partners will help.)
- Huntingdon-Juniata College Student Organization (issue forum, tabling event, letters to legislators, and letters to the editor)
- Lebanon Valley College and Branch (Green Dot Campaign- which emphasizes bystander engagement as a prevention tool, advocacy training for 25 students, tabling events)
- Lock Haven (Domestic Violence Awareness Vigil, followed by a speaker on the Lock Haven campus)
- North Hills-McKnight (member-led advocacy training and house meeting),
- Towanda (movie showing, tabling events at Keystone College and Lackawanna College, publicity in papers, radio stations, and on business signs)
- West Chester-Chester County (educate members and the community through a January awareness event, ask for a Declaration from the State Senate on the problem of human trafficking, and donate to Dawn’s Place, a local non-profit that assists victims of human trafficking.)
- York (meeting with elected officials, letters to the editor, issue forum at Penn State York with a tabling event)
All projects will be completed by May 2014.
On April 13, 2013, AAUW-PA unanimously approved an addition to last years’ resolution. This year we are supporting “a moratorium on leasing and drilling for natural gas in Pa.’s state forests and parks. We endorse legislation to be passed that will guarantee protection of these state lands.”
Click here for more information.
What is AAUW…
AAUW Pennsylvania furthers the AAUW mission and programs in Pennsylvania, and promotes, encourages, and coordinates the work of branches throughout the state. Since 1881, AAUW has been one of the nation’s leading voices promoting education and equity for women and girls. AAUW-PA programs include educational outreach, community service, public policy advocacy, and confrontation of barriers so that all women have a fair chance.