AAUW-PA District Meetings Planned for October/November 2015
District meetings will be held this year on Saturday October 3 (Eastern District) and Saturday November 7 (Central and Western Districts) with the focus on Gender Equity and Get Out the Vote (GOTV). On the topic of Gender Equity including the gender wage gap, the Eastern District speaker is Carol Tracy, Esq., Executive Director of the Women’s Law Project of Pennsylvania; Central District speaker is Dot McLane, Ph.D., President AAUW-PA; and Western District speaker is Susan Frietsche, Esq., Senior Staff Attorney, Women’s Law Project of Pennsylvania. Additional information on public policy strategies, GOTV, and/or the Power of the Personal Narrative will be presented by the state Public Policy Co-Chairs Toni Hoffman and Susan McNamara at the Eastern and Central district meetings and as part of Ms. Frietsche’s presentation at the Western district meeting.
Please plan to attend your district meeting to get up to date on these important topics and network with your fellow district members. Lunch will be included and reservations are required.
- Eastern District (Saturday October 3) hosted by the Allentown branch, Cedar Crest College, 100 College Drive, Allentown, PA, 10 AM to 2 PM. For reservation form click here.
- Central District (Saturday November 7) hosted by the Lebanon Valley branch, ShadowStone Community Center, 106 W. Spruce St., Palmyra, PA, 10 AM to 3 PM. For reservation form click here.
- Western District (Saturday November 7), Butler County Community College Cranberry Campus, PA, 10 AM to 2 PM. For reservation form click here.
For more information contact your district coordinator: Central District – Sue Zitnick, firstname.lastname@example.org, Eastern District – Martha Czop, email@example.com, or Western District – Nancy Weinstein, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Pennsylvania Conference for Women
Thursday November 19, 2015
8:30 AM to 5 PM
Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia
This year AAUW-PA is again a sponsor and exhibitor at the Pennsylvania Conference for Women being held on Thursday November 19. The speakers and session presenters are typically phenominal and offer valuable information as well as inspiration.
Speakers Scheduled to Appear:
- Gloria Steinem (Premier Feminist Activist)
- Carli Lloyd (member US Women’s World Cup Champion 2015 Soccer Team)
- Jessica Alba (Founder of The Honest Company and Actress)
- Leymah Gbowee (Liberian Peace and Women’s Rights Advocate)
- John Jacobs (Co-Founder of the Life is Good Company)
- Marquesha Babers (Ambassador for the film “Girl Rising”)
- Many Outstanding Breakout Session Speakers and Roundtable Leaders
Exhibitor Booth Staffing Volunteers Needed
Exhibitor booths are required to be staffed by 1 or 2 people at all times during the conference which runs from 7:30 AM to 5 PM. We will be provided at no additional cost Exhibit Hall Only Passes (no entry to keynotes, meals, or sessions) that can be transferred throughout the day to other volunteers. We would like to schedule volunteers for one hour increments from 8 AM to 4 PM. If you are either planning to register and attend the conference and can volunteer for some part of the day, or you are interested in just coming to staff the exhibitor booth and not attend the sessions, please let Dot McLane know (email@example.com) what hours you are able to volunteer.
July Summer Retreat Saturday July 11, 2015 Presentations
The AAUW-PA Summer Retreat was held on July 11 in Lewisburg with about 50 AAUW-PA members in attendance. The presentations included an update on the 2015 National AAUW Convention, various facets of Public Education in Pennsylvania, and Plans for the State Public Policy Impact Grant activities around Gender Equity (including Pay Equity) and Voting Rights. The links for PowerPoint presentations are given below:
- 2015 National Convention Update by Dot McLane, President AAUW-PA (PowerPoint version/PDF version)
- Education Issues Update and Public Policy Advocacy, Ron Cowell, President, The Education Policy & Leadership Center (EPLC) (PowerPoint version/PDF version)
- AAUW-PA Public Policy Co-Chairs Toni Hoffman and Susan McNamara Presentation 2015-2016 Priorities (PowerPoint version/PDF version)
What is AAUW…
AAUW Pennsylvania furthers the AAUW mission and programs in Pennsylvania, and promotes, encourages, and coordinates the work of branches throughout the state. Since 1881, AAUW has been one of the nation’s leading voices promoting education and equity for women and girls. AAUW-PA programs include educational outreach, community service, public policy advocacy, and confrontation of barriers so that all women have a fair chance.